Objectives and key stages
The key objectives of the study were as follows:
- develop a state-of-the-art computer model of the Johnstone Rivers System within the study area to define the nature and extent of the flood hazard;
- model the effects of existing developments and existing flood mitigation measures to determine their impact on flooding, including community concerns raised during the resident survey and community open sessions;
- propose, assess and recommend possible flood mitigation measures with consideration given to social, ecological and economic factors;
- prepare a report detailing the development of the model, the assessment of the effect of existing development and flood mitigation measures, addressing community concerns and detailing proposed flood mitigation measures;
- prepare a Floodplain Management Plan.
There were seven key stages in the study.
- Data Collection
- Flood Model Development and Calibration
- Design Flood Analysis and Existing Flood Damage Assessment
- Historical Floodplain Works Assessment
- Floodplain Management Measures Assessment
- Recommendation of Management Measures